Snacking habit among adolescents (aged 10 to 18) in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Irene, (2006) Snacking habit among adolescents (aged 10 to 18) in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Universiti Malaysia Sabah. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
Text
ae0000001505.pdf

Download (2MB) | Preview

Abstract

The main objectives of this study were to classify adolescents into high snackers and low snackers according to the amount of snacks consumed in a day, to determine the contribution of energy from snacks and to compare between snacker types. This thesis also aimed to determine the types of snack food most frequently consumed and the relationship between snacking habit and factors such as gender, age, maternal employment status and education level, family income and television viewing frequency. Measurements of height and weight were taken to determine adolescents' body mass index (BMI) and their weight classifications. A total of 454 adolescents were taken as respondents in this study. It was found that 54.4% of the respondents were high snackers while the other 45.6% were low snackers. Mean daily energy intakes for high snackers were found higher (2011kcal ± 395.1) compared to low snackers (2167kcal ± 421.0). Significant difference existed between the total energy intakes and the contribution of energy from snacks between the two snacker categories (p=.000). Snack foods were found to contribute 28.6% of the total mean daily energy intakes for high snackers and 17.1% for low snackers. BMI measurements showed that 9.9% of the respondents were underweight, 7.3% overweight and 2.0% obese while the rest nonnal weight. Weight classifications were found not related to snacker types (p=0.062). Savoury and sugary snacks, fast food, carbonated drinks and local delicacies were snacks frequently consumed by adolescents. Majority of the respondents (94.3%) likes fast foods such French fries, fried chicken and instant noodles. Gender was found not related to snacker types (p=0.277), but there was significant relationship between adolescents' age group and snacker types (p=0.000). Significant relationships were also found between snacker types and maternal education level and employment status, family income and television viewing frequency (p<0.05). To conclude, it was found that most of the adolescents were 'high snackers' and snacking habit among adolescents was significantly related to age group, maternal education level and employment status, family income and television viewing frequency respectively.

Item Type: Academic Exercise
Uncontrolled Keywords: adolescent, snacker, energy, types of snack food, gender, age
Subjects: T Technology > TX Home economics > Nutrition. Foods and food supply
Divisions: SCHOOL > School of Food Science and Nutrition
Depositing User: MDM SITI AZIZAH IDRIS
Date Deposited: 28 Oct 2013 02:55
Last Modified: 17 Oct 2017 04:58
URI: http://eprints.ums.edu.my/id/eprint/7414

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Browse Repository
Collection
   Articles
   Book
   Speeches
   Thesis
   UMS News
Search
Quick Search

   Latest Repository

Link to other Malaysia University Institutional Repository

Malaysia University Institutional Repository