The relationship between emotional intelligence and collaborative behavior with leadership styles among the Kadazandusun grassroots leaders in Sabah

Peprus @ Petrus Pius Jinuik, (2013) The relationship between emotional intelligence and collaborative behavior with leadership styles among the Kadazandusun grassroots leaders in Sabah. Masters thesis, University Malaysia Sabah.

[img]PDF
2327Kb

Abstract

This study aims to investigate the relationship between emotional intelligence and leadership style and also the relationship between collaborative behavior and leadership styles among the Kadazandusun grassroots leaders in Sabah. A cross sectional study was conducted randomly among the Chairman of JKKK and Village Head of the Kadazandusun from five identified districts and three suburban villages in the West Coast of Sabah. Self-administered questionnaires were used to collect data. The main interest is to examine the leadership styles among the Kadazandusun grassroots leaders, the biggest community in the state of Sabah, Malaysia. Model of the study was based on the proposition that emotional intelligence and collaborative behavior influences decisions and actions, which in turn determine leadership styles. Data analysis included descriptive statistics, factor analysis, reliability test, and multiple regression analysis. A total of 211 sets of completed questionnaires were used for data analysis. Most of the respondents (64%) came from the Chairman of JKKK and the other (36%) came from the Village Head. It was found out that there was a significant relationship between collaborative behavior and leadership styles. All dimensions of EI attribute variable although being group into few components after the factor analysis was conducted like self-awareness-empathy, self-awareness-managing emotions empathy, motivating oneself-managing emotions, social-skills and motivating oneself were found to have significant relationship with leadership styles of authoritarian democratic, democratic and laissez-faire-authoritarian leadership styles. In conclusion, there are three combined main factor and two single factor that encourage the Kadazandusun grassroots leaders to exhibit their leadership styles.

Item Type:Thesis (Masters)
Uncontrolled Keywords:emotional intelligence, leadership style, collaborative behavior, Kadazandusun grassroot, leader
Subjects:H Social Sciences > HM Sociology
Divisions:SCHOOL > School of Business and Economics
ID Code:8919
Deposited By:IR Admin
Deposited On:02 May 2014 10:25
Last Modified:02 May 2014 10:25

Repository Staff Only: item control page


Browse Repository
Collection
   Articles
   Book
   Speeches
   Thesis
   UMS News
Search
Quick Search

   Latest Repository

Link to other Malaysia University Institutional Repository

Malaysia University Institutional Repository