Marine litter pollution on coral reefs of Darvel Bay (East Sabah, Malaysia)

Nadiezhda Santodomingo and Chris Perry and Zarinah Waheed and Muhammad Ali bin Syed Hussein and Allia Rosedy and Kenneth G. Johnson (2021) Marine litter pollution on coral reefs of Darvel Bay (East Sabah, Malaysia). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 172 (112998). pp. 1-9. ISSN 0025-326X

[img] Text
Marine litter pollution on coral reefs of Darvel Bay (East Sabah, Malaysia).pdf

Download (41kB)
[img] Text
Marine litter pollution on coral reefs of Darvel Bay (East Sabah, Malaysia)1.pdf
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (4MB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Marine litter is recognized as an increasing component of marine ecosystem pollution. In this baseline study, we document the magnitude, types, sources, and potential impacts of litter on six coral reefs in East Sabah. We applied a simplified classification of litter to extract abundance data from video transects. The average density was 10.7 items per 100 m2. Plastics represent 91% and the remaining 9% were metal, glass, and wood. Most (~70%) plastics are single-use items derived from dumping. Discarded fishing gear accounts for ~25%. Litter pollution increases closer to urban developments, with Sakar reef having higher densities (51 items per 100 m2), and higher Clean Coast Index (CCI =10.2, dirty) and higher Plastic Abundance Index (PAI =4.68) scores. This method could and should be readily integrated into ongoing monitoring programs to support assessments of the extent and magnitude of marine litter pollution on reefs worldwide.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Urban reefs , Turbid reefs , Macroplastics , Pollution indices , Marine debris , Anthropocene
Subjects: Q Science > QH Natural history > QH1-278.5 Natural history (General) > QH1-(199.5) General Including nature conservation, geographical distribution
Divisions: INSTITUTE > Borneo Marine Research Institute
Depositing User: SITI AZIZAH BINTI IDRIS -
Date Deposited: 22 Dec 2021 18:24
Last Modified: 22 Dec 2021 18:24
URI: http://eprints.ums.edu.my/id/eprint/31512

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item